Tuesday 2 July 2013

Happy Canada Day!

Monday, July 1st was Canada Day of course and there was no shortage of celebrating in London-town!

Trafalgar Square hosted a great Canada Day party that featured live music, Canadian food (like bison burgers and peameal bacon sandwiches with maple mustard - sadly no poutine though!), Molson Canadian beer, and wine!

Even though I went to work, and didn't take the day off I was ready to party in Trafalgar Square by 5:30 pm with all of my friends!


Back Row (Left to Right): Tyler, Phoebe, Me, Matt
Front Row (Left to Right): Tanya, Paul, Derek
Photographer: Kelly


It was so amazing to see so many Canadians and honourable Canadians (including the two Aussies in my group - Matt & Phoebe) celebrating in one place. I bet we were the nicest and politest crowd to ever assemble in London. Even though the area was crowded, especially by the main stage and the lines were long, everyone said "Excuse me" when they needed to get through, "Sorry" if they accidentally stepped on someone's foot or was just passing by in close quarters, and minded their manners when asking for food or drinks at the stands. Such a change from a typical british social setting!

Plus, everyone was just so friendly! I had brought a long my bag of tiny Canadian pins which my Mom had sent with me when I started my adventure. So, I decided to hand them out to people who I think just needed to look a bit more festive, after using them to decorate my outfit as well as Matt's and Kelly's. It was a great way to talk to random people in line for food or in our area by the stage! I was surprised that even quite a few of the people I met knew where Ingersoll and Woodstock are!

Some of the performers were the Northern Cree Singers....


and the Tragically Hip...



The Arkells, The Sheep Dogs, and Jann Arden were also on the performance list for the evening. But my favourite celebrity to grace the stage you ask?


George Stroumboulopoulos! Yay George!

During the performances and throughout the night, big red and white beach balls were tossed around the crowd. These were lots of fun at first, but they slowly got annoying as they kept hitting your head if you didn't pay attention or just not leaving your area of the crowd!


And here are some other fun pictures from the celebrations!



Derek, Phoebe, and I


Derek, Kelly, 1/2 of Matt, and I!


Matt & I


Kelly & I



Kelly & Matt


Myself, Matt & Kelly


and Me!

Definitely one of the best Canada Day's I have ever had! Who knew London celebrations would be so amazing?! 



No comments:

Post a Comment