Friday 5 July 2013

3 Weeks Today!

So, at first I wasn't going to include this in my blog because this blog is supposed to be about my current Adventure Abroad, but I really felt like writing about it so I am going to announce it...

On Monday, August 12th I start my new job as a Public Service Clerk at Ingersoll Library. The library that I grew up in, and worked in throughout my last year of high school and my first three summer vacations from Brock University. I couldn't be more excited and thrilled to be returning!

I just hope that this next chapter feels right. It's definitely something I dreamt about when I was applying for the positions in May, and even before they were posted but I was thinking about my future - contemplating whether to stay in London or move home. I always loved my work at the library, as well as when I worked at the one in Niagara On The Lake last year. Books excite me! I've always loved them, which is why I grew up at the Ingersoll library! Everyone knew me before I started working there because I was a frequent patron. So, I'm looking forward to returning to an environment surrounded by books. So many to read!

But then there are those days where I think I could do this teaching thing. Whether I'm surrounded by cute children or I just have a good day at work. But then I'm reminded of all the extra work aside from interacting with children that teachers are responsible for, and that is what I don't want to do. If it was just about enjoying the children and helping them experience life, that would be amazing!

Which is why, when I found out that my dear friend, mentor, former supervisor and future coworker Gail is running a program for teens this summer on writing a blog! I got excited right away because I've realised how much I enjoy blogging as a way to share experiences but also to just express my thoughts and feelings. So, I gave her permission to use this blog as an example for her teens. That's when she said that my blog was the inspiration for the entire program! SERIOUSLY?! That's when something felt right. Because that is how I want to inspire and be a teacher/role model to children. By doing things that I love and being myself, and having children learn from it or be inspired by it, or just learn something new about themselves because they never would have thought to explore that potential interest. I want to help children find out about themselves, because I think self-discovery is so important. I think the more self-aware you are, the smarter you are. If you know nothing about yourself, I think it's hard to grow as a person and more forward in life with dreams, goals, and relationships.

So, with that said I am excited about what lies ahead for me back home. My new job, and perhaps other new roles that I take on. Possibly going back to school in the future. Continuing on my path of discovery and learning about myself and about life.


No comments:

Post a Comment