Tuesday 2 July 2013

Birthday Celebrations At A Roller Disco? OK!

On Friday June 28th, two people that in my life celebrated their birthdays....

One was my brother Clint, and one was my friend Derek. So, while I was celebrating Derek's in physicality, I was celebrating my brother's in spirit.

Derek decided a few weeks ago that he wanted to go roller skating at the Roller Disco in Vauxhall, South London for his birthday party. Immediately I was reminded of the one time I tried roller skating when I was 11 or 12 with an old friend at a New Years Eve party. It really wasn't a successful memory. Simply put, I just can't really skate. I didn't grow up playing ice hockey or doing figure skating like a lot of Canadian children. Anytime that I did skate on ice or attempted roller blades, I pretty much fell down a lot and just had a lot of trouble.

But, because it was Derek's birthday and my friends were going, I figured it would be worth another try! Plus, I knew I could blog about it.

When we got to the Roller Disco and had to put on those skates, I was nervous. How would I get from the benches where we had to put our skates on to the rink, let alone to the other side of the place where our reserved table was! You had to check your shoes in exchange for skates, so everything was done wearing skates. Thank goodness I have a strong bladder because I didn't go to the bathroom at all that night. Who wants to skate into a bathroom and pee? I mean REALLY?! lol.

There were marshalls on the rink to help you, and of course one came over to me and tried to teach me a technique. He kept telling me to pretend I was walking up stairs. Sounds easy enough but it's actually hard to reenact that movement when you aren't actually walking up stairs. I don't pay attention to where I transfer my weight to when I'm going up a staircase! lol.

What did help me to manage not to fall was finding the beat in the fast-paced, up-tempo, 80s and 90s music that was playing and move my feet in skating steps to the beat. I did manage to stay off the railing somewhat once I got more comfortable, and the entire night I actually didn't fall at all! Yay me! However, my skating never became smooth like the others. So, I did a lot of watching and just hanging out after I gave it a try.

All in all, the entire experience made me realize how much I really do value solid ground and being stable. Hence why I don't fair well on ice skates, roller blades, roller skates, skis, snowboards, wake boards, surf boards, and pretty much anything that requires strong balance. Perhaps it also explains my dislike for ladders and unsupportive surfaces.

I did have fun though, and Derek enjoyed his birthday a lot! He definitely gets a round of applause for a unique birthday party idea!


Derek, Kelly, and Matt on their skates! 


Kelly & I, rocking our roller skates and sippin' champagne!


Me & Derek, the birthday boy!


Myself, Kelly, and Derek!




No comments:

Post a Comment